In this self-paced, hands-on course you will examine financial decision-making tools and techniques. This course examines and applies financial decision-making techniques to everyday life. It will emphasize the importance of setting goals, creating financial statements, preparing budgets, and planning for college, retirement, and estates. This course will teach the importance of maintaining good spending and saving habits to ensure a secure financial future.
As you learn the importance of good financial planning and financial goal-setting you will also learn how to create financial statements and prepare budgets. Throughout this course you will be introduced to topics such as consumer credit, student loans, insurance, investments, savings, planning for retirement, and estate planning.
Module 1: The Financial Planning Process
- Define your financial goals.
- Evaluate your current financial position and develop your financial plan.
- Develop a good record-keeping system.
- Construct a yearly budget.
- Prepare a personal balance sheet.
- Prepare a personal income and expense statement.
- Understand the importance of career choices and the relationship these choices have to personal financial planning.
Module 2: Consumer Credit
- Decide whether to buy or lease a car.
- Evaluate the benefits and costs of homeownership and estimate how much you can afford for a home.
- Choose mortgage financing that meets your needs.
- Develop a plan to establish a strong credit history.
- Understand student loans and the process of applying for and the repayment of the loans.
- Choose the best loans by comparing finance charges, maturity, collateral, and other loan terms.
Module 3: Insurance, Investments, and Savings
- Explain the concept of risk and the basics of insurance.
- Discuss the primary reasons for life insurance and identify those who need coverage.
- Calculate how much life insurance you need.
- Distinguish among the various types of life insurance policies.
- Discuss health insurance needs.
- Identify the types of coverage provided by homeowners insurance.
- Explain the basic types of medical expenses covered by the policy provisions of health insurance plans.
- Discuss the role that investing plays in the personal financial planning process and identify several different investment objectives.
Module 4: Retirement and Beyond
- Recognize the importance of retirement planning.
- Estimate your income needs in retirement.
- Discuss employer-sponsored pension plans.
- Describe the various types of self-directed retirement plans.
- Understand the role of estate planning in personal financial planning.
- Describe the steps involved in the estate planning process.
- Understand the need for preparing a will.
- Understand how trusts are used in estate planning.
- Use effective estate planning techniques to minimize estate taxes.
EARNING COLLEGE CREDIT:
If you feel that you have mastered the knowledge, practical application, and skill set presented in this course, then you can take a Course Assessment for a chance to earn undergraduate credit at Kaplan University. Course Assessments are evaluations in the form of multiple choice questions, essays, or projects that allow you to demonstrate your proficiency for a given subject.
This course hasn't been reviewed yet.
Most Popular OC@KU Courses
This self-paced course explores the factors that make online learning courses successful as well as what lessons can be learned from less successful classes. The course examines how......read more